Pre-treatment for Brazing and Welding
Chutian laser technology is ideal for cleaning steel and aluminum surfaces for weld preparation in automotive, precision tool manufacturing, shipbuilding, and more. Laser weld preparation is a proven method with a long history of success in automotive brazing and welding applications.
Laser cleaning removes lubricants, and ferrous and non-ferrous materials from the metal, resulting in high quality welds and brazed seams that are smooth and non-porous, providing the highest stability and quality for visible welds.
- Removal of oxide layers
- Removal of hydrates
- Removal of store prep
- Precise treatment of joint surfaces over a wide range of material thicknesses
- During pre-treatment, there was no damage to the steel’s galvanized layer
- The typical rate for weld preparation of 20 mm thickness
- Approx. 15 m/min for aluminum sheets
- Removal of shop primer at up to 20 m/min
- Degreasing and cleaning of steel up to 10 m/min
The wet chemical cleaning process is no longer required
- No cleaning agent required
- Minimal space required
- Direct in-line chain or off-line chain
- Significantly reduced operating costs
- Environmentally friendly process
- Optional process monitoring – 100% in-line cleaning monitoring possible
In addition to brazing and solder preparation, the finished solder joint can be cleaned to remove thermal stains and solder residues such as oxides and residual flux material.
Parts made of stainless steel particularly benefit from laser treatment; the laser light suspends the grain boundaries so that the weld is passivated and exhibits greater corrosion resistance.